By Dan Getz
On July 5, 2015, a 22 year old man's life changed in a split second...and forever. Alone in a field, with a few firecrackers left over from the previous day's celebration of his country's freeddom, he decided to light one in particular, and call it a night. Unbeknownst to him, the Chinese Made firework was DEFECTIVE, and blew up in hand and completely severed 3 of fingers, one which was able to be reattached by doctors, leaving him only two fingers and his thumb.
After hearing Cody's screams of sheer agony and pain, friends were able to help him walk somewhere between a 1/2 mile and 1 mile to a location, where careflight met him and took him to Parkland Memorial Hospital. The flight alone cost $50,000, and his medical bills to date are around $750.000.
Doctors, in order to save his hand, have, through breahthrough technology, temporarily attached his hand to a main aftery in his stomach (like the man in China where doctors have attached a man's hand to his ankle).
Today, probably sometime this morning, and after 5 previous surgurys, doctors will be surgically removing his hand from his stomach in preparation for one or more skin grapghs. The risks of death are considerable.
Cody has one word for kids, and adults alike. "LISTEN. LISTEN to your parents, Listen to authorities. LISTEN to your teachers. Do Not play with fireworks because you never know which one could cost you your life!"
Cody's outlook on life is optimistic. He considers himself lucky to be alive. He knows he has a Destiny and a purpose for something great. Pray for Cody today as you work, play and breathe. Pray as you take pufposeFULL steps . Be THANKFUL and stay ALIVE. Cody is, as so should we!